The Ordinary Retinol 0.5% in SqualaneRetinol 0.5% in Squalane
Regimen Step 2: Treat
Targets Uneven Skin Tone, Textural Irregularities, Signs of Aging, Dryness
Suited to All Skin Types
Format Anhydrous Serum
In your regimen
- Step 2: Treat
Use after cleansing and water-based serums, before oils, suspensions or creams.
Retinol 0.5% in Squalane offers a water-free solution containing 0.5% retinol—an ingredient that improves the appearance of fine and dynamic lines that arise from a loss of collagen and elastin, while evening skin texture and tone. What’s more, this intermediate formula is supported with squalane, a moisturizing agent naturally found in your skin that enhances surface-level hydration and helps combat the dryness that can be associated with retinol use.
The Ordinary Tip: Start with Retinol 0.2% in Squalane and slowly work your way up to Retinol 0.5% in Squalane and Retinol 1% in Squalane. That said, if you are prone to sensitivity, you may prefer to use newer retinoid technologies, such as those found in our Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion.
Note: Once opened, this formula should be refrigerated and used within a three-month period.
Caution: Retinoids can make the skin more sensitive to UV radiation. Sun protection is particularly important when using retinoids. This product must not be used in conjunction with other retinoids including retinol or retinoic acid. This product is not a treatment for acne.
Note: When pregnant or breastfeeding, it is recommended to avoid any skincare products containing retinoids such as formulations with Granactive Retinoid or Retinol.
How to use
- Apply a few drops to the face in the evening.
- Do not use with other retinoid products.
- Use sun protection during the day.
- Caution: Retinol can cause irritation, redness, and peeling, especially around the eyes and mouth, in the early stages of use while skin builds tolerance.
- Refrigerate after opening.
- If irritation occurs, rinse oﬀ, cease use, and consult a physician.
- Use only as directed on unbroken skin.
- Patch testing prior to use is advised.
- Keep out of reach of children.
Always patch test before use.
When to use
Use in PM
3 months after opening.
How to build a skin regimen
Address specific skin concerns using targeted formulas. Always check each product's Usage Details to ensure products are compatible in the same routine.